Sunday, August 03, 2003

I'm back!

If you're wondering why I wasn't at ultimate, here's the answer.
If you didn't wonder, here's the answer too.
I'm not very particular about these sort of things.

Anyway, I just got back from my family reunion. I had a great time. Since it's outdoors (we have to tent) and there is no AC, a lot of our activity revolves around the San Marcos river which is part of the property there. I went on three 2-hour tubing trips, swam around in the swimming hole, went off the big swing (featuring a perhaps 25-foot drop into the middle of the river), and floated a quarter mile sans tube.

So, I had a good time, yet thanks to the tremendously high drops from the big swing, my upper gluteus is quite sore. And my arm, too. And this is even though most of the shock was transmitted through my sandaled feet.

On the way to the swimming hole, I used my mad phyzziks skillz and calculated (in my head in about 10 seconds, thank you Mrs. Walker) the centripetal acceleration present at the bottom of the swing: a=(2gh)/(r). Maybe that might be around (2*9.8*7)/(10) or about 1.5 G's (added to the one G of gravity, of course). But that's an incredibly horrendous approximation.

Whatever. This is also why I didn't do ultimate tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home