Saturday, July 26, 2003

My comments/opinions

Thank you both for offering such insightful commentary. I find that I actually agree with both of you to some extent. Let me add a few things of my own.

First, in regard to Felix's post about Greenpeace, I must say that PETA is very, very similar in their underhanded, illegal tactics. I read that for a while they sent to scientists who performed research on animals envelopes with razor blades under the top seal, so if a person opened it with his/her fingers, they would be very badly cut (no one was actually cut, but at least 80 such letters were sent out). Also, PETA has been known to break into research centers and "free" the animals from their cages, ruining years' worth of research for scientists.

On a somewhat tangential note, I remember seeing at the annual veterinary open house at A&M a poster that featured a picture of animal protestors and read something like: "Thanks to animal testing, they have seven more years to protest." It said underneath that results from animal experimentation had added on average 7 years to people's lives.

I worry that it makes people (not you guys, just people in general) think all vegetarians are maniacal like that...
No, I don't think it does, especially with all the new "go vegetarian" dieting trends. However, since that is purely a matter of personal opinion, using derogatory terms about those who eat meat bely the single-mindedness that is present in such organizations as PETA.

I'm against killing animals or doing things to harm them unnecessarily (I cry when I hit turtles on the road ... of course that may just be because I'm pathetic)
It's not because you're pathetic. Wanton waste/death makes me sad too. Of course, if there is a good purpose behind death of animals (i.e. food, clothing, etc.) then it's acceptable to kill them. On the other hand, running over squirrels (or even looking at roadkill) doesn't make me happy either.

Finally, I would like to conclude that I like animals. To eat for dinner!!!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha....ha....errrrr.... sorry. Just kidding, by the way. :-) Well, in one sense. I do like to eat some dead, cooked meat, but I like some live animals too. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home